Founded in 1874 on College Street as Sweetwater Military College by Dr. J. Lynn Bachman, the name was changed to Tennessee Military Institute in 1902 and TMI Academy in 1975. It was relocated to this site in 1909 as a preparatory school. Presidents Dr. Bachman, 1874-1902; Col. O.C. Hulvey, 1902-1918; Col. C.R. Endsley, 1918-1956; Col. C.R. Endsley, Jr., 1956-1972; and C.W. Price, vice president 1920-1966, provided continuity of purpose. Its graduates are prominent worldwide in medicine, science, military, commerce, and government.
U.S. 11, Monroe County, in Sweetwater Tennessee
© 2008 HistoryQuest, LLC